Deep Root Shrub Fertilization
Shrub fertilizer is vital for maintaining the beauty of your landscape. Like all living things, plants require nutrients in specific amounts order to grow strong and healthy. In urban or suburban settings, landscape shrubs are competing fiercely for resources and may be particularly at risk for nutrient deficiencies. Often on landscapes, shrubs are managed for aesthetics, rather than health, which can result in excessive pruning, over or improper planting or inappropriate site selection; this can result in less available sunlight, reduced air flow and decreased nutrients. Shrubs also compete with turf and trees for soil nutrients and water. This issue can be compounded by possible stress from compacted soils, drought and root space infringement. However, appropriately timed and formulated nutrient treatments injected via deep root fertilization can go a long way to restore tree health and maintain vigor.
SavATree's ArborHealth® fertilizer provides essential nutrients to the root zones of trees and shrubs. Our arborists determine precise intervals based on the specific needs of your landscape. Variables such as tree species, soil conditions, tree age, tree diseases, health, location, weather and stress conditions all factor into the tree fertilizer formula that your arborist develops for your property. Seasonally optimized ratios of nutrients in tree fertilizer are needed:
- In the fall, plant roots absorb nutrients that will be used during the initial spring growth period
- In the spring, plant roots absorb nutrients that will be used throughout the growing season.
Which fertilizer is right for your landscape?
There are many factors affecting the soil quality on your landscape including macronutrients, micronutrients, pH and salinity. Fortunately, your SavATree arborist can determine what is lacking or in excess by performing soil tests and recommend the best fertilizer for your shrubs' needs containing one or a combination of the following ingredients:
- ArborHealth - specially formulated, slow-release fertilizer which includes essential nutrients.
- ArborKelp® - our exclusive seaweed biostimulant which promotes root growth and heightens stress tolerance
- Micronutrients - ingredients to correct deficiencies of minerals required in small amounts
- Mycorrhizae - essential fungi which aid roots in acquiring nutrients
Shrub Fertilizer Customization
- ArborKelp can be used alone or in conjunction with ArborHealth when trees and shrubs struggle with long-term stress. This combined application is also appropriate when trees and shrubs are recovering from damaged or compromised root systems, when stressed by transplanting or construction damage, or when enduring drought conditions.
- If your landscape’s soil lacks essential nutrients, ArborHealth should be used to promote healthy plant growth.
- In specific circumstances, ArborKelp will be recommended in place of fertilization when the supplemental nitrogen contained in ArborHealth can have a negative effect on plant health.
Your arborist will recommend the best types and timing for tree fertilization based on your landscape’s specific needs.
Advantages of Deep Root Fertilization
SavATree utilizes a sub-surface liquid injection process to administer the nutrient applications. Injecting shrub fertilizer and soil amendments into the ground under pressure yields many advantages. Not only does this process replenish the depleted soil with needed nutrient components; it also disperses and aerates compacted soil, allowing water and oxygen to reach the root hairs where absorption takes place.